To help celebrate Compost Awareness Week, we will be offering FREE compost to Regina residents from May 7 and 8, while supplies last. Our Facebook event page will be updated when all of the compost has been claimed.
Dates and Location:
- May 7 and 8, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (weather dependent)
- Site located west of the Yard Waste Depot entrance on Fleet St (view map)
- This is a self-serve depot.
- Bring your own shovels and containers.
- Maximum 60L (three, 5-gallon pails) per household
- Tarp and secure loads when transporting.
- Staff will be on site to direct traffic flow.
- Limited quantities available
Learn more about how to use your compost.
The compost provided for the compost giveaway is created from post-consumer source sorted organics and the City of Regina makes no representations or warranties with respect to the compost. Through an independent test lab the compost is tested for quality before distribution. The compost being supplied meets the required standards.
People using the compost have the responsibility to inspect any material before taking possession of it. By taking possession of any material from the Compost Giveaway, you acknowledge the City of Regina will not be liable for any damages or injuries that may occur, and you waive any claims that may arise as a result.
The depot is located south of the Fleet Street Landfill (map) with a separate entrance allowing residents to drop off yard waste free of charge without interacting with Landfill operations.
Hours of Operation
The Yard Waste Depot is open spring to fall, seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., including statutory holidays. Entry gates will be closed 15 minutes prior to closing to allow vehicles to unload and exit by closing time.
- This is a self-serve depot
- You will need to remove your yard waste from plastic bags at the site.
- Plastic bags are not compostable. Consider using paper yard waste bags or reusable containers. Paper yard waste bags can be purchased from many local retailers.
- Tarp and secure loads when transporting
- Commercial load are not permitted
- No dump trailers or dump trucks
- Practice social distancing (2 metres)
- Grass clippings
- Garden waste (plant and vegetable waste)
- Bush/tree trimmings
- Branches (not from elm trees) up to 1ft thick and 8ft long
- Logs and stumps (not from elm trees) up to 1ft thick and 8ft long
- Branches/logs/stumps from elm trees (elm leaves and small twigs are allowed)
- Kitchen food waste
- Pet waste