For the past 70 years, the Wascana Pool has been part of the summer experience for Regina residents. Work is underway to build a renewed aquatics facility that will provide Regina residents and visitors with a significantly enhanced Wascana Park experience.
The project has received significant funding from the Municipal Economic Enhancement Program (MEEP). MEEP funding will provide $12 million to the City of Regina to support this project.
Wascana Pool will be an inclusive, vibrant facility with several recreational elements. A new accessible playground and spray pad is also under development next to the pool facility with free access for everyone. The Wascana Pool concession will also be open to both pool users and park visitors.
Wascana Pool Renderings
Wascana Pool Renderings
Over 5,300 Regina residents responded to the second phase of public engagement, sharing their preferences for pool basin design and features. Opportunities to provide feedback included an online survey and an Open House on November 12, 2019. Responses represent a range of preferences and demonstrate broad community interest in a renewed facility.
- Most respondents (53%) preferred the separate lap and leisure pool design.
- Respondents are likely to use a variety of features with hot tub (78%), lazy river (76%) and water slides (73%) identified as the features most likely to use.
- Responses received from 94 residents who attended the open house indicated a stronger preference for the separate lap and leisure pool design (71%) and strongly favoured lane swimming (92%) as the feature they are most likely to use. Comments received at the open house indicated most wanting a pool with 50-metre swim lanes.
Read the full report of the November 2019 Engagement
The first phase of public consultation included market research, online survey and stakeholder consultations. Residents told us that family recreation is their highest priority with opportunities for personal fitness being second. Approximately 500 residents participated in the market research and over 4,000 people responded to the online survey.
To stay informed on the progress of the project, sign up for the email notifications below.
- 2021: Construction start
- 2022: Construction continues
- 2023: Grand Opening and full season
List of Amenities
- lap pool with diving boards
- leisure pool with zero depth entry
- lazy river
- hot tub
- water toys
- accessible and inclusive washroom and change rooms
- multi-purpose room
There will also be an accessible playground and spray pad located outside the fence, that residents will be able to access without entering the pool.
Local Anishnaabe-Saulteaux artist from The Key First Nation, Larissa Kitchemonia, has been selected to design the gate that will greet Regina residents when they visit the renewed Wascana Pool. The art installation will be a public facing metal art insert that will provide security to the building and beautify its entrance.
The metal art work is scheduled to be completed June 30 and installation for the work is to be inserted into the gate in August 2022.
Learn more about the construction of the renewed Wascana pool facility
Find commonly asked questions and answers about the Wascana Pool Renewal.
Where will the pool be located?
The previous Wascana Pool site at Wascana Park reached the end of its useful life and has been identified as the location for the new facility with an expanded footprint.
Why can't the City repair Wascana Pool?
Engineering experts have confirmed that, due to age and condition, the pool has reached the end of its useful life. Wascana Pool was not able to open beyond the 2019 season. The deficiencies at the facility was beyond simple maintenance and repair and included major structural, mechanical and electrical systems as well as accessibility and building code requirements.
What are the benefits to opening a renewed Wascana Pool?
A new facility will better meet residents’ needs and participation will increase once the new facility is built. This has occurred in other western Canadian cities where new, more modern outdoor aquatic centres are built. These facilities provide recreation elements such as zero depth entry, water slides, spray toys, lap swimming and diving that appeal to a broader range of residents.
What is the participation rate of the outdoor pools?
Participation in Regina’s outdoor pools is low relative to capacity. Although Regina has more outdoor pools on a per capita basis than other Western Canadian cities (see table below), they are all underutilized, outdated in design, have limited support features and do not provide the contemporary experience that residents have enjoyed when visiting other municipalities of Regina’s size.
Participation Rate of Regina Pools
|Year Constructed||Capacity||Average Daily
How does Regina’s pool capacity compare to other municipalities?
Regina has more outdoor pool on a per capita basis compared to other western Canadian cities.
|Provision Ratio||Number of Outdoor Pools|
Why was the Wascana Pool site recommended for a renewed facility?
The Wascana Park Master Plan and the approved vision for the park include recreation.
- Central Location: Wascana Pool is centrally located in Regina and is easily accessible.
- Environment: Wascana Pool is situated in Wascana Park, where people love to swim. Public consultation has revealed that many customers spend a full day in Wascana Park, with the pool being one of many amenities that they access throughout the day.
- Available Space: Wascana Pool is Regina’s largest pool, with room to expand.