On-street parking regulations are an important tool to ensure the safe and efficient movement of pedestrians, cyclists, motorists and public transit.
Parking meters are installed in areas where there is a high demand for parking. The presence of a parking meter with a parking limit (i.e. 2 hour limit) ensures that vehicle turnover will occur, thereby allowing each parking stall to be used by many different users throughout the day; and is important in order to support an economically vital and vibrant downtown.
Currently, parking meters are in effect from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday to Friday. Parking on Saturdays at meters is free, but limited to two hours. Parking is free at meters after 6 p.m. on weekdays, all-day Saturdays (subject to 2 hour limit) and Sundays, and all statutory holidays.
Parking meters accept Canadian (and American) currency in quarters, dollar coins (loonies), and two dollar coins (toonies), as well as credit cards (Visa and MasterCard only) at the new digital parking meters. When using a credit card to purchase time at a parking meter there is a minimum purchase requirement of $1.00.
Digital Credit Card-Capable Parking Meters for 11th Avenue
In May 2015, the City of Regina installed digital credit card-capable meters along 11th Avenue. These parking meters will have many positive features to ensure efficiency:
- The new parking meters are easier to maintain which should reduce downtime
- Additional payment options to the traditional coin payment. This includes credit card functionality (Visa / MasterCard only, no debit cards)
- Wireless real-time meter monitoring capabilities which will reduce meter down time by shortening response times for a malfunctioning meter
- Remote access and management allows meters to be programmed to appear out of service or display when parking is not permitted (ie. during designated "No Stopping" times)
- Large high contrast display screen makes the meter easy to use and understand
- Robust cast iron construction improves parking meter security and durability
For Credit Card Purchases
- Check the meter's display and stickers for parking rates, hours, time limits, and other important information
- Insert and then remove your credit card. Visa or MasterCard only.
- Use the or buttons to select the amount of time to be purchased
- Press the button to confirm the amount or the button to cancel the transaction
- Wait for the card to authorize
- The display will confirm the amount of the transaction and then the countdown clock will start
For Coin Purchases
- Simply insert valid coins into the coin slot to the desired amount of time you wish to purchase. The meter accepts quarters, one dollar coins and two dollar coins.