Waste Reduction Drop-Off Days and Special Events
Send waste to a better place! Learn all about our special events such as the Household Hazardous Waste Day, Leaf and Yard Waste Depots and more! We also have information about white metal goods recycling and composting.
Household Hazardous Waste
Household hazardous waste are items that can be corrosive, flammable or poisonous. Knowing which products are hazardous can help you protect yourself, your family, staff and the environment. Please do not dispose of household hazardous waste in your garbage or by pouring items down the drain or stormwater sewers as it will harm the environment.
- Keep materials in their original containers. If the labels is lifting off use transparent tape to secure it.
- Do not mix different products together.
- Tightly cap all containers.
- Follow the storage instructions on the product label. Storage requirements vary based on the hazardous property a material has.
- Where allowed, store containers together in a large heavy duty plastic container to prevent potential spillage.
- Make sure you store flammable products in the recommended temperature range.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Do a periodic check on the storage area to ensure no problems have occurred.
- Be sure there are no apparent fumes.
- Ensure you can clearly see each label.
- The containers should be clear of rust, bulges, dents or leaks.
- Never pour of flush household hazardous waste materials down the drain. Chemicals can corrode pipes and cause issues at the Wastewater Treatment Facility.
2017 Household Hazardous Waste Days
The 2017 Household Hazardous Waste Days have been cancelled due to budget amendments. Please check back for 2018 dates.
Learn how to dispose of your hazardous waste by using the Waste Wizard search tool.
Paint and Electronics
SARCAN Recycling collects unused paint and electronics year-round. If you have unused or unwanted paint and end-of-life electronics, take them to your nearest SARCAN depot. SARCAN also accepts empty paint cans. Read more information about SARCAN’s recycling programs.
2017 Leaf and Yard Waste Depots
The 2017 Leaf and Yard Depots have been cancelled due to budget amendments. Please check back for 2018 dates.
Learn how to dispose of your leaf and yard waste by using the Waste Wizard search tool.
Let's all work together to reduce landfill waste.
Treecycle – Christmas Tree Recycling
After the holidays, drop off your natural Christmas tree at any of our Treecycle depots. Be sure your tree has no decorations and is not in a disposal bag. Trees will be turned into nutrient-rich compost.
Treecycle Depots are closed for the season.