Waste minimization (Grades 4-7)
- Grades 4 - 7 Sciences; Social Studies (Environmental and Social Conciousness)
- The City of Regina's waste minimization programs 40-45 mins.
- To introduce basic concepts about the City of Regina's waste minimization program.
Common Essential Learnings:
- critical and creative thinking
- personal & social values stressing environmental concerns such as sustainability and the ecosystem/environment
Prerequisite Student Learnings:
- some basic social values
- public health and safety
- protection of the natural environment
- public collection of waste
- Set: 5-10 mins. Introduce basic concepts the City of Regina's waste minimization programs.
- Define terms and basic principles of the City's waste minimization programs.
- Ask for anecdotes from students (what is waste minimization? what happens when a garbage truck (also called a solid waste collection truck) picks up garbage from your house? how do students feel about what the City does to remove waste and garbage? Do students have ideas about what other things the City can do to minimize waste and what are the benefits of the City's current waste minimization programs?)
- Development: Talk about the information that is communicated in the presentation.
- 10 mins. Discuss and explore City of Regina waste minimization programs. Ask for feedback from the students about what they've heard. Students can investigate in detail the reasons behind waste minimization programs by looking at similar programs in other cities, both inside Canada and outside Canada.
- Closure: 5-10 mins. Review the concepts around the City of Regina's waste minimization program and refer to the information available.
- PowerPoint presentation about the City of Regina's waste minimization programs
- The City of Regina's online information about its waste minimization programs
- The City of Saskatoon website waste minimization program (found under Environment)
- "Did you know" brochures
- Lesson plans found at the US Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs website
- Canadian Waste Reduction Week website
- Nothing formal – question for understanding.
A good lesson for a social studies class (Society and the Environment)