Evacuate During An Emergency
Local authorities will only ask you to evacuate your home in the event of a serious emergency; upon receiving an evacuation order, you should heed their advice immediately.
In Saskatchewan, the Emergency Planning Act (2003) permits the head of a local authority to declare a State of Local Emergency, and that allows the local authority to order an evacuation should it be absolutely necessary.
You may be notified of the evacuation by:
- Radio and/or television broadcast
- Telephone calls
- Public address announcements via loudspeakers
- Electronic media (internet/e-mail)
Follow whatever instructions emergency personnel provide. Before leaving you may also wish to:
- Gather important documents, medications and identification papers to carry with you.
- Ensure your cell phone is fully charged (if you have one).
- Carry a printed list of important phone numbers.
DO NOT return to the area until emergency personnel say it is safe to do so.