Image of the City of Regina

Fires Started by Appliances

Damaged or improperly maintained appliances can cause a fire in your home.

Tips on Preventing Appliance-Caused Fires

  • Remove lint from dryers after each load of clothes.
  • Replace appliances if they smell funny when you turn them on or don’t work correctly.
  • Get rid of equipment and appliances with old or frayed cords and extension cords that look damaged.
  • If required, let a professional repair your appliances.
  • Unplug appliances when not in use.
  • Do not let appliance cords dangle off of counters – roll them up out of reach.
  • Ensure electrical cords are put away and not pulled across traffic areas or placed under carpets or rugs.