Fires Started by Candles
The number of fires started by candles has been increasing in Regina.
To prevent candles from accidentally starting a fire in your home, follow these tips:
- DO NOT leave a burning candle unattended. If you leave the room, blow out the candle.
- Always place lit candles on a stable surface so the candle does not tip over and ignite material underneath it.
- Lit candles should be placed in a non-combustible, sturdy holder that can contain any excess wax that may drip from the candle.
- Place candles away from absolutely anything that could catch fire (curtains, paper, plants, table decorations.)
- Request that children and teens not light candles; instead provide them with battery-operated candles.