The first golf club founded in Regina was the Royal Regina Golf Club, which was founded in 1899. The club was housed in what is now Wascana Park before moving to the North-West Mounted Police barracks in 1901. The Royal Regina Golf Club is one of only 5 golf clubs to be given the “Royal” designation in Canada.
Another prestigious golf club in Regina’s early days was the Wascana Country Club, which was located south of Wascana Creek on 100 acres. Until 1920, female golfers dressed in long dresses and large hats while male golfers donned jackets and knickers. The Wascana hosted a Canadian PGA event in 1993 – the CPGA Trans America Championships.
Regina is also home to the only golf course in Canada that is named in honour of a woman. The Joanne Goulet Golf Course is named in honour of the woman who has won over 30 City Championships and 21 Provincial Championships. Goulet was also a member of the Saskatchewan team that won the Canadian Senior Ladies Championships in 1985 and 1990 and she was inducted into the Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame in 1980.