Get Active with Paratransit! Paratransit Service Increased for Recreation Programs
The City of Regina is making significant improvements to Paratransit service to ensure residents have convenient and reliable access to recreation destinations including parks, concerts, bowling alleys, movies, swimming pools and more. The new Paratransit Recreation Program is unique to Regina and available now.
“The City of Regina is making leisure activities more accessible to individuals experiencing disabilities with better booking options, greater flexibility and improved trip times for paratransit customers,” said Kim Onrait, Executive Director of Citizen Services. “We are very pleased to introduce this program as recreation promotes active and healthy lifestyles, and contributes to quality of life for everyone in our community.”
Additional services of the Paratransit Recreation Program include:
- Extra service for same-day short notice trips between 9 a.m. and 2:45 p.m.
- Additional peak-hour service available for trips to and from programs from 7-9 a.m. and
2:45-5:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- Trip times that will better coincide with the start and end times of recreation programs and leisure activities.
- Expanded eligibility to include individuals with disabilities who didn’t qualify for paratransit service previously.
- No additional charge for trips up to five kilometres outside of City limits for recreation and leisure.
- Recreation charter service will be available from June to August up to 100 kilometres out of Regina city limits, at half the charter rate.
- Trips can be booked outside of service hours for recreation and leisure trips provided that the standard of two trips per hour is met.
Customers can bring supplies, equipment and devices for recreation or leisure programs, like a musical instrument or racing wheelchair. Operator assistance will be available, as needed.
A key area identified for improvement through the City’s Adapted Recreation Action Plan was the need for better paratransit service to facilitate recreational opportunities. In the 2022 budget, City Council approved funding for two additional paratransit buses and increased service hours to make this program possible.
Customers can book their trip by emailing Paratransit firstname.lastname@example.org or calling at 306-777-7007.