Public Input Welcomed as Ward Boundary Review Begins
Residents are invited to participate in a boundary review of Regina’s 10 municipal wards. As a result of changing population across our community, the Municipal Ward Commission will ensure the city’s population is distributed evenly prior to the 2024 municipal election.
The City of Regina is required to review its ward boundaries after every three elections or when the population of a ward varies by more or less than 10 per cent from the average. This ensures every resident’s vote has equitable representation from their ward councillor.
Changes may impact some or all wards. Wards with the greatest population changes include 2, 4, 7, and 8, as well as the newly annexed land north of ward 6. The new boundaries come into effect for the 2024 municipal election. Find out what ward you live in.
The review process provides residents with opportunities to share feedback with the Commission in several ways:
- January 26 to February 17 - Take our quick poll about which element is most important to consider when preparing the draft ward boundaries.
- January 26 to March 17 - Ask questions about the ward boundary review.
- March 13 to 17 - View the draft ward maps and provide comments. Maps will be displayed at City Hall and all Regina Public Library branches, as well as posted online.
- March 20 - Attend the public hearing to address the Municipal Ward Commission.
- March 23 - Attend an information session at City Hall to learn about the draft ward boundaries.
Event reminders will be issued as dates get closer.
The Municipal Ward Commission must include a Justice designated by the Chief Justice of the Court of King’s Bench for Saskatchewan; the City Clerk; and a representative of the University of Regina designated by the U of R President. In December 2022, Regina City Council appointed Justice Michael Tochor (Chair), City Clerk Jim Nicol, and Dave Button, University of Regina Vice President of Administration.
Visit Regina.ca/wardboundary to complete the quick poll, ask questions and learn more.