Small Suites, Big Benefits: Backyard Suite Permit Applications Now Available
Regina has joined municipalities across the country in offering the increasingly popular housing option of backyard suites. Applications are now available through the City of Regina online permit portal.
“Backyard suites are a great option to foster density and ensure diverse housing types for people of all stages of life, incomes and abilities,” said Ben Mario, Manager, City Planning. “Based on the interest the City has heard so far, we anticipate as many as 50 backyard suites to be built throughout Regina in the next two years.”
For residents and neighbourhoods, backyard suites can provide a multitude of benefits, such as:
- Being an alternative to secondary suites/basement suites with more natural light and privacy
- Allowing multi-generational families to live on the same property
- Providing extra income for property owners as a rental or short-term accommodation
- Fostering complete communities and efficient use of infrastructure
- Increasing safety in alleys
- Having more customers near local businesses
In the core and certain inner-city areas, backyard suites are eligible for a 25 per cent tax exemption for five years, provided that the unit is used for long-term rental purposes and not an Airbnb or for commercial or personal use.
Visit Regina.ca/build to apply for a backyard suite permit anywhere in Regina where zoning allows. A map of the tax exemption boundary can also be found on the website.