Work Begins on 1971 Albert Street
Work begins at 1971 Albert Street to restore the site to safe conditions. This will
include backfilling the excavation, removal of shoring components and reinstating
public access to the roads and sidewalks around the property.
- The City and contractor have worked together to develop a comprehensive plan to
complete the objectives of the contract by October 2019.
Work will primarily take place Monday to Friday, but occasional weekend work
may be required.
- Trucks will haul soil in the evenings between 6 p.m. and 7 a.m.
- During the day the contractor will work at the site compacting the imported
soils and removing shoring components.
- No large trucks or equipment will be accessing downtown during peak traffic
hours (7 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.)
- Trucks will queue in the northbound curb lane along Albert Street, south of
Victoria Avenue when they are hauling soil to the site.
- Trucks will proceed into the site to drop off the soil, exiting when safe to do so.
- Flag personnel will be onsite to direct the dump trucks, not to assist with traffic.
- The contractor will have engineers monitoring the site for the duration of this
project to ensure public, site and worker safety, as well as safety of
Starting on Tuesday, June 25, drivers may want to consider alternate routes
between 6 p.m. and 7 a.m. as the contractor begins hauling. This work is
dependent on weather or unforeseen circumstances.
As a reminder, sidewalks around the site will remain closed until project
completion in October 2019.
The contract was awarded to CBS Contracting Ltd. for $2.6 million, plus a
contingency of $390,000. The cost to restore this private property to a safe condition
is the responsibility of the property owner, Westgate Properties Ltd. The City will add
all expenses as they occur to the property tax account.
The City of Regina thanks residents for their understanding and patience while this
important infrastructure work is being completed. Slow down, plan ahead and be safe.
Workers and their families are relying on you.