Image of the City of Regina

Keep your holidays merry – Be fire safe

Thu Dec 21 15:03:28 CST 2017

Regina Fire and Protective Services (RFPS) offers these holiday fire safety reminders
and tips:
• Holiday cooking – Cooking fires are the top cause of fires in Regina. Cooking and
having company are a part of the holiday season, but it’s important to remember to
stay in the kitchen and not be distracted while cooking.
• Christmas trees – A real tree is a wonderful way to celebrate Christmas, but a dried-out
tree can catch fire instantly and turn a room into an inferno. If a tree’s needles are
brittle and falling off, remove the tree from the house immediately. Families should be
sure their tree isn’t blocking any escape routes.
• Candles – Candles burning in unoccupied rooms have caused a number of fires in
Regina. Extinguish candles when leaving a room or going to sleep.
• Fireplaces – Flammable materials, such as stockings or garlands, can catch on fire if
allowed to hang in front of the fireplace opening. Ensure decorations are kept a safe
distance away from the fire.
• Children – Ensure burning candles as well as matches and lighters are kept up
high, away from little hands and pets.

RFPS reminds residents to check their smoke alarms monthly and replace batteries once
a year. A smoke alarm will give families the best chance to get out safely if there’s a fire –
and families should talk about their escape plan before an emergency happens.

Best wishes to residents for a happy and fire-safe season.