Image of the City of Regina

Constable George Anthony Lenhard (1905-1933)

Regina Policeman’s Death a Mystery

“Wanted: Any information leading to the arrest and conviction of the three assailants who gunned down this City of Regina constable on the evening of Sunday, August 6, 1933, near the Canadian Liquid Air Plant on 4th Avenue.”

Constable Lenhard, a North Dakota native, was investigating a suspected break-in when he was shot three times by a .32 calibre automatic pistol. Ironically, Constable Lenhard was considered the best shot on the force, but was unable to unholster his gun before he was killed. His death shocked the young Regina community and still remains an unsolved mystery.

One of the greatest manhunts in the history of Regina followed the shooting death of Regina Police Constable George Lenhard. On Sunday, August 6, 1933, after being on a routine bicycle patrol duty in the warehouse district for only three-quarters of an hour, Constable Lenhard stopped at the rear entrance of the Canadian Liquid Air Plant at 4th Avenue and Winnipeg Street where he noticed three men attempting to break into the plant. While attempting to question the three suspects, Constable Lenhard was shot down in cold blood before he could fire in defence.

The subsequent investigation indicated that three shots had been fired from a .32 calibre automatic pistol while Lenhard still held on to his bike. Two shots were fired from behind and went through his body. The third, believed to be the shot that caused the fatal wound, was fired as the young constable was making an effort to get his revolver out of his holster. The three assailants fled. He died on the way to the General Hospital shortly after 10 p.m. Before dawn, 100 police officers were searching for the culprits but they were never found. To this day, his death remains a mystery. The television show, “Unsolved Mysteries”, featured the murder several years ago, but despite some phone tips, no one was ever charged and by now the killers are probably long-since dead.

George was born in Valley City, N. D. Before taking Normal School training in Regina, he attended Campion College from 1920 to 1923 where he gained his junior matriculation. Afterwards, he taught in northern Saskatchewan before returning to Regina to work at the T. Eaton Company.

He joined the Regina Police Force in 1930, where he quickly established himself as one of the best revolver shots on the force. He was a member of the Regina City Police team that participated in the provincial and dominion gun competitions in 1930 and 1931. Constable Lenhard’s murder marked the first time that a Regina police officer had been killed on duty. Unfortunately, his death came only one day after he had celebrated his 28th birthday. He was single. Of the young officer, Chief Constable Martin Bruton said, “He was a first-class man—all that could be desired in an officer.”