Careless Use of Appliances
Damaged or improperly maintained appliances can cause a fire in your home.
Tips on Preventing Appliance-Caused Fires
- Remove lint from dryers after each load of clothes.
- Replace appliances if they smell funny when you turn them on or don’t work correctly.
- Get rid of equipment and appliances with old or frayed cords and extension cords that look damaged.
- If required, let a professional repair your appliances.
- Unplug appliances when not in use.
- Do not let appliance cords dangle off of counters – roll them up out of reach.
- Ensure electrical cords are put away and not pulled across traffic areas or placed under carpets or rugs.