Burns are among the most painful injuries, yet they are easy to prevent. Follow the precautions listed below to avoid getting burned:
Living rooms, bedrooms and garages
- Cover all electrical outlets with safety plugs.
- Screen fireplaces and radiators.
- Use caution when using a fireplace and keep children 1 metre away when it’s burning.
- Teach children not to touch hot items, or items that could become hot, around your home.
- Teach children danger signs and not to touch cleaning products.
- Supervise children in the kitchen to avoid burn injuries.
- Do not hold or drink hot beverages when sitting or holding a child.
- Do not lean over pots of boiling liquids.
- Use pot holders, gloves and mitts. Never use wet material as a pot holder.
- Use hot pads when placing pots or hot food containers on a table or kitchen counter.
- Be careful when removing food and food containers from the microwave. Lift lids carefully to allow steam to escape.
- Never warm baby bottles in the microwave oven. The liquid may heat unevenly, resulting in pockets of breast milk or formula that can scald your baby's mouth.
- Do not use metal containers, foil, or utensils in a microwave oven.
- Allow liquids time to settle before removing from microwave.
- Test running and bath water.
- Lower the temperature on your water heater.
- Never leave a young child unsupervised during a bath.
- Keep curling irons out of children’s reach and turn off when not using.
If a burn does occur
Burns can occur by heat, electricity and chemicals. You should quickly cool any burn with cool (not cold) running water.
Burns are categorized as first-, second-, or third-degree, depending on how badly the skin is damaged. (A first degree burn is similar to a mild/moderate sunburn.) You should seek medical help immediately if the burn looks red/blistered (second-degree) or is charred or burned (third-degree.)