Francis N. Darke, born in Prince Edward Island, Darke came to Regina in 1892 and established a retail and wholesale meat business which he continued for about 15 years. Later he engaged in real estate and other financial interests. A tangible memorial to Mr. Darke's generosity is the Darke Hall for Music an Art, which he donated to the city in 1929. It still serves as an important concert hall, and houses the Regina Conservatory of Music. The Darke Memorial Chimes were his gift to the citizens of Regina and were placed in trust in Knox-Metropolitan United Church. The music is an integral part of downtown Regina life. Darke served on the Town and City Council for seven years and was Mayor Regina in 1898. He was a member of the Board of Governors of Regina College and of the Saskatchewan Tuberculosis Sanatorium at Fort Qu'Appelle. He also served on the Regina Library Board in 1927.
CORA-B-0718 1896 Regina Town Council F.N. Darke third from left in back row