Image of the City of Regina


James Grassick, one of Regina's first settlers, had a strong hand in shaping the town. He was an Alderman from 1898 until 1910 and Mayor of Regina from 1920 to 1922 and 1940 to 1941. From 1929 to 1934 he was a member of the Saskatchewan Legislature for Regina City in the Conservative Government of Premier J.T.M. Anderson. President of the Capital Ice Company, Mr. Grassick also had a farm on the outskirts of the city. 

His interest in the Regina Exhibition far predates his election as a Director in 1907. In 1943, he became Manager of the Exhibition. Present at the first Presbyterian church service held in Regina, he was seldom absent on Sunday. He worked for his church all his life, first at Knox-Presbyterian, then at Knox-Metropolitan Church. Few men in public life have that rare gift of inspiring public respect and affection as did James Grassick. 

Known by many as "Mr. Regina", to the Plains Cree of Qu'Appelle Valley he was honourary Chief Strongheart, because of his help and advice to elders of the tribe in the early days of white settlement.

CORA-B-0020 City Council 1940 with Mayor James Grassick