Hugh McGillivray, the youngest son of pioneer family who homesteaded north of Pense, Sasakatchewan became Mayor of Regina from 1947 to 1948. His eldest brother, Archie, reachedPile of Bones Creek in the spring of 1882 when there were three tents pitched on the future site of the city. Hugh homesteaded for a time before establishing a hardware store in Pense. He was the first reeve of Pense municipality.
He moved to Regina in 1920 and became active in civic politics, serving on city council from 1940 to 1946. His term as mayor coincided with the return of veterans from World War II when large numbers of new homes were required. In 1946, McGillvray was awarded the Order of the British Empire for his work as chairman of the Veterans' Dependents Advisory Committee for southern Saskatchewan. A staunch Presbyterian, McGillvray served on the Session of Knox-Presbyterian Church for many years. He was a Freemason and a member of Wa Wa Shrine Temple.
CORA-B-0042 Mayor Hugh McGillivray holding up an oversized envelope addressed to the Mayor of Flin Flon