Image of the City of Regina

Rental Property Information

Are you a landlord or tenant?

The City of Regina plays a key role in meeting the housing needs of its current and future residents. The City does not own or manage housing, but plays an active role in fostering, encouraging and supporting those companies and agencies that build and manage a range of housing to address the needs of Regina’s residents.
While the City of Regina supports the development of rental housing, the rules and practices of the relationship between the tenant and landlord are governed by the Province of Saskatchewan. The provincial Office of Residential Tenancies, formerly referred to as the Rentalsman, is responsible for administering The Residential Tenancies Act, 2006, which governs the relationship between tenants and property owners.
If you are renting and have questions about your rights as an owner or renter please contact:
304-1855 Victoria Avenue
Regina SK S4P 3T2

Unsafe or Untidy Rental Property Complaints?

The City of Regina has authority to enforce bylaws that pertain to the health, safety and welfare of the community, including those that relate to the condition of rental properties. See a list of most requested bylaws.
The office of the City Clerk maintains City bylaws. If you would like to request a copy of a bylaw, please contact 306-777-7000 or fill out this online request form.

Does the City enforce issues with rental properties?

Tenants with concerns regarding health and safety standards at his/her dwelling or apartment should first advise the landlord in writing of their concerns in order to allow the landlord the opportunity to address the issue first. If the landlord does not resolve the issue, tenants may pursue the course of action appropriate to their concern:

  • If the complaint is related to the yard or exterior maintenance of the rental property and the landlord has not taken action to resolve the problem, a complaint can be made to Service Regina (306-777-7000) and a Bylaw Enforcement Officer may order the property owner to conduct any necessary repairs, clean-up, or maintenance.
  • Issues related to fire safety (e.g., problems with smoke alarms, exits, windows) are investigated by Regina Fire and Protective Services (RFPS) fire inspectors. Tenants can make a complaint by calling 306-777-7830 and a fire inspector will be in contact to gather all relevant information. RFPS will not take action on anonymous requests or information based on hearsay.
  • Public health concerns in rental housing (e.g., rodent/insect infestations, sewer back-ups, extensive mould) are investigated by the Regina Qu’Appelle Health Region (RQHR). Public health complaints can be submitted directly to RQHR. Additional information and a complaint form can be found at
  • If the rental unit concern is not related to exterior property maintenance, fire safety, or public health, please contact the Office of Residential Tenancies .