Building Construction & Maintenance Permit
You need to obtain a temporary street use permit if you must close or restrict any portion of a public right-of-way (street, alley or sidewalk) prior to the construction, alterations/repair or demolition of a building or structure.
- You must provide adequate insurance (as indicated in the Traffic Division Procedure Manual)
- Depending on the project and where it is located, the City may specify a time of day and/or week that the closure or restriction can occur.
- If the closure or restriction will affect businesses located on the street, alley, or sidewalk, you must contact and negotiate with those businesses to minimize the disturbance to their business.
- If the closure or restriction will impact pedestrian movement, you must provide Public Works with information how you will control and protect pedestrians that may pass through the street closure. If a covered walk-way is required, it must meet the guidelines indicated in the Traffic Division Procedure Manual.
To apply for a temporary street use permit to restrict or close a public right-of-way for the construction, repair or demolition of a building or structure, you must:
- Contact Service Regina at 306-777-7000 to request a street use permit:
- Request for a temporary street use permit for an alley or local street must be received at least 72 hours prior to closure.
- Request for a temporary street use permit for a major roadway (collector, arterial or expressway) must be received at least seven days prior to closure.
- Note: If you are requesting to close a provincial highway or highway connector, you must also contact the Minister of Highways to get approval. This process can take two to six weeks.
- Contact any businesses located along the public right-of-way to negotiate and minimize any impact to their businesses during the project.
- Submit your completed temporary street use permit and fees to Public Works (Traffic Engineering)
- Once Public Works has received your permit and approved it, the City will issue your temporary street use permit.