Image of the City of Regina


What is an Emergency Response Plan and what must be provided?

An Emergency Response Plan is a summary outlining your preparations/actions anticipated should you have a fire or fuel/fluid spill while out at the site. It should include any tools or equipment you might have on your equipment, your access to a cell phone or radio (including individuals who would be monitoring your calls), procedures you would follow in the event of a spill or fire and reporting of the spill or fire to the City and appropriate agencies, planned actions to mitigate the spread and for the cleanup of the site.

Do I get charged rent for lands that I can’t seed?

For the initial estimate, we will be using the calculated acreage of the arable land on the property. However, if there are low lying or unproductive areas on the parcel, the City will work directly with the successful bidder to seek agreement on the rent that should apply based on those lands seeded and harvested. GPS evidence of each would be helpful in making your case to amend the acreage for that year.

Why are my payments on a monthly basis?

The City prefers to receive funds on an installment basis.

Why doesn't the City set a rate expected for leasing the property?

The price offered establishes market value for the land and reflects the farming situation at that location.  The rate per acre only makes up a portion of the City requirements. Other considerations include potential spraying for weeds on the overall parcel, provision of insurance and emergency response plan.

If I am successful in getting the lease, can I sublet this property?

No, the lease agreement sets the expectation that the lessee will be the operator of the lands.

Can I use pesticides, herbicides and fertilizer on the property?

The City would expect you to implement normally accepted farming practices, which recognizes the use of herbicides, pesticides and fertilizer as necessary to control noxious weeds, pests and maintain soil nutrient levels. The City also recognizes that this farm land is next to existing residential and commercial development with expectations to minimize odour, dust, noise and any roadway hazards. A level of sensitivity to neighbouring concerns is required. The City expects that the land will be left in a similar condition as it is at the start of the lease.

Am I allowed to hunt on this property?

No, the lease is solely for the purpose of carrying on the business of a farming operation.

Am I allowed to have livestock on the land?

No, livestock are not to be raised on the land or allowed to graze on the land.

If I lease the property and the City decides to use or develop a portion of the land, will I be compensated for crop loss?

If the City runs into a situation where a portion of the property is required for City purposes during the cropping season, there will be compensation provided. Should the City identify that fewer acres will be required between the harvest and seeding, the lessee will be notified that there will be fewer acres available in the upcoming year, but no financial compesation will be provided. 

As there are more acres on the property than are currently arable, can I break new areas for seeding?

The City is not averse to this but would caution that there is an expectation of rent based on the number of acress seeded. Developing marginal lands would be the lessee's risk.