Height and Spread:
Varies depending on growing conditions. The dandelion flower stalk can grow anywhere from 15 to 30 cm high in 1 or 2 days.
The first flush (rapid period of growth) occurs in late spring, with a second flush during the late summer.
- Preventive tools:
- A thick, healthy lawn reduces the chance of dandelion seeds establishing in your yard. Read tips on how to care for and grow a healthy lawn.
- Physical tools:
- Use a knife or dandelion digger to remove both the plant and root since dandelions grow back from the root.
- Regular mowing will also remove flower heads before they go to seed.
- Biological tool: Not applicable.
- Chemical tools:
- McGill University is experimenting with biological fungus which may kill dandelions.
- Spot-treat individual plants with 2, 4-D.