Help Stop Mosquitoes
You can do a great deal to keep mosquitoes from breeding by removing standing water from your yard. All it takes is cup of water to breed hundreds of mosquitoes. Any standing water found in your eavestroughs, puddles or old tires in your yard can produce a swarm of bloodthirsty mosquitoes.
To join the fight against mosquitoes:
- Get rid of containers in your yard that could collect rainwater, such as old cans, tires, pails or even tarps.
- Check for and remove any standing water found on flat roofs.
- Ensure that your eavestroughs drain thoroughly; remove dead leaves and other debris which can clog the drainpipe.
- Fill in low-lying areas where puddles appear.
- Clean out bird baths regularly.
- Cover rain barrels with a tight-fitting screen.
- Add gold fish to your pond or ornamental pool.