Seed Your Lawn
Plan to seed your new lawn in August when warm soil temperatures ensure fast germination and there is less competition from weeds. However, you can seed a lawn at any time during the summer if irrigation is available.
To seed your lawn:
1. Purchase the desired mix of grass seed.
2. Apply your grass seed at the rate of 1.8 kg/100m² .
- Divide the seed in half.
- Scatter half the seeds while walking back and forth along the length of your yard. You can use a mechanical spreader or do this by hand.
- Scatter the rest of the seeds while walking back and forth along the width of your yard.
3. Lightly rake the surface of the soil to barely cover the grass seed.
4. Use a weighted roller over the soil surface to ensure good contact between the seeds and the soil.
5. Water your seeded area frequently for 4 to 6 weeks, using the following schedule:
- Provide .6 cm of water 4 times a week until grass matures.
- Provide 1.2 cm of water twice weekly once grass matures.
- Provide 2.5 cm of water every 7 to 10 days once grass is established.