Image of the City of Regina

Weeds on Private Property

Saskatchewan has legislation that mandates property owners and occupants to prevent the growth, ripening and spread of weeds and weed seeds. The legislation is called The Weed Control Act. 

A vigorous healthy lawn will help prevent weed establishment and growth. The best way to control weeds is to simply prevent them from going to seed. Here are a few tips for maintaining your lawn and garden:

  • Mow your lawn regularly to remove flowering stalks and seed heads, which will prevent the spread of new weeds
  • Keep lawns well-watered and adequately fertilized
  • Ensure any new soil used in your garden is free of weed seeds and reproductive roots
  • Reseed any thin spots to ensure good grass cover. Overseeding your lawn will keep the grass thick and choke out weeds.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why does the City of Regina want residents to control weeds on their property?

The Weed Control Act is provincial legislation that mandates property owners and occupants to prevent the growth, ripening and spread of weeds and weed seeds. Noxious weeds are considered to be a threat to agriculture, human health, or the environment due to their invasive nature or toxic properties. Dandelions are considered a nuisance weed under the Act and need to be controlled


Who enforces The Weed Control Act in Regina?

The Act empowers municipalities to enforce control of prohibited, noxious, and nuisance weeds by land owners within the boundaries of the municipality. Bylaw Enforcement Officers have been designated as Weed Inspectors in the City of Regina

When would I make a complaint about weeds?

The presence of weeds does not necessarily mean there is a weed control problem. Before you make a weed complaint, consider the following:

  • Do the weeds cover more than 25% of the lawn area?
  • Are the weeds over 15 centimetres (6 inches) high?

If you believe there is a weed control problem at a property, call Service Regina at 306-777-7000 or submit a complaint using the online service request form. The complaint will be forwarded to Bylaw Enforcement and assigned to a weed inspector for investigation.

What happens if I fail to control weeds on my property?

If a weed inspector determines that a property owner is in violation of The Weed Control Act, the owner will be issued an Order to Comply providing 5 days to cut or remove the weeds. Failure to comply with an order may result in City crews or contractors being hired to cut the weeds. Any costs associated with this work will be invoiced back to the property owner.



This is a well-maintained, healthy lawn.


This lawn has longer grass and a few dandelions but does not have a weed control problem.

This lawn has overgrown dandelions and tall grass. An Order to Comply would be issued.


This lawn has been overtaken by weeds. An Order to Comply would be issued.