Holiday Waste Reduction Tips
Reduce – Save your pennies and avoid overconsumption
- Reduce food waste by buying only what you need and sticking to your grocery list!
- Cook just enough food based on the number of people attending the event
- Send e-cards or e-vites instead of paper versions
- Give the gift of experiences – movie tickets, club memberships and gift certificates for dinners or spa treatments
- Avoid buying single use items and try to buy in bulk
- Shop smart- buy items with less packaging
Reuse – Ditch disposable for reusable
- When entertaining, skip the disposable dishes and use reusable
- Make ‘upcycled’ decorations out of common household items. You can even make Christmas ornaments from the burnt-out light bulbs from your tree
- Leftovers are the best part and eating them helps reduce food waste. Try out a Christmas Dinner Leftover Casserole recipe
- When shopping, take your own reusable bags
- Reuse ribbons, bows and gift bags next year!
- Resist the urge to pop that bubble wrap (we know its hard!!) and reuse it later
Recycle – Put all acceptable items into your blue cart so they can become new things
- Treecycle your real tree at one of our four free depots
- Drop off your extra cardboard and paper at the Big Blue Bins
- Recycle the cardboard part of toy packaging and trash the plastic part
- Set up recycling and garbage bins throughout your home for convenient sorting
- Learn which items are acceptable with the sorting guide or use the Waste Wizard tool.