Image of the City of Regina

What to do if you have no water

Before contacting us, check the following:

Step 1:  Check all cold-water taps throughout your home.

  • If you have water at one or more taps in your home, there may be a frozen pipe within the home. Try thawing the pipe (see Options below) or contact a plumber.
  • If you have no water from any taps within your home, proceed to Step 2.

Step 2: Check downstairs to see if the water meter or the pipe coming up from the basement floor and into the water meter is frozen or very cold.

  • If the water meter and water pipe do not seem frozen or very cold, proceed to Step 3.
  • If the meter or water pipe either appears frozen or is very cold, try heating the area. If that is unsuccessful, proceed to Step 3.

Step 3:  Contact Service Regina at 306-777-7000 and we will send someone to investigate.


Options for thawing your pipes

Before calling a plumber, you can try to thaw the frozen pipes yourself by turning up the furnace and opening doors to the area. This will allow warm air to circulate around the frozen pipe and may thaw it over time. Check the area regularly as a frozen pipe can crack or burst and create a leak once the water begins to flow.  


  • Do not use a propane heater or open flame device (ex: blow torch, candle, butane lighter) to thaw the pipe.

  • If the pipe or meter is leaking, or if there is water present on the floor, do not use space heaters, heat guns, hair dryers, heating pads or any other electrical appliances to thaw frozen pipes. Leaking water could cause an electrical shock.

Who’s responsible for frozen water pipe/water meter repairs?

  • Water service pipes are owned by both you and the City of Regina.
  • The City owns the portion that runs from the water main on the street to the property line.
  • You own the portion that runs from the property line into your home.
  • The City of Regina repairs water meters but the property owner is charged for the cost of any damage to the water meter.