Image of the City of Regina

Report a water main break


If you see a water break or changing conditions at a water break, please report the location to Service Regina at 306-777-7000.

What happens when you report a leak?

Our staff will be dispatched to assess and prioritize the leak and if required, put up safety barricades or arrange for traffic restrictions. Leaks are prioritized based on severity, whether residents are without service and how many are out of service due to a single leak/break.
Crews are dispatched based on priority. Due to the unpredictability of where the leaks will occur and how severe the leaks are, we are unable to give a definite timeline of when a particular repair will be completed.

Types of water breaks

A water main break typically affects one block, and households on both sides of the street.

A service connection leak/break typically affects one household or business. Please note that where possible, water service is maintained except during the actual repair. This is why residents may see running water on streets.

Service connections and water mains break for various reasons. Various types of lines are most vulnerable at the connection point. Service connections may leak at the curb box – that’s where the shut off valve is located, normally on the property line at the front of the property. Leaks can also occur where the service connection attaches to the water main. While leaks and breaks are more likely at connection points, the line may also break elsewhere due to ground shifting or other factors. The service connection is the water pipe that connects the water main on your street to the water pipe inside your home.

What happens if I have no water service?

Whenever possible, we inform the households and businesses that will be affected before we turn the water off so they can draw water for essentials such as drinking and cooking. If we couldn’t give notice or if a resident wasn’t at home to be notified, we have several options to provide water.
There are two water tankers that we send out to our larger breaks. The tanker is set up on the street and individuals can come to fill their personal containers as needed.

If the tanker is not set up at your location or if you can’t get to the tanker for a particular reason (such as mobility concerns), we will deliver jugs of water to your home. Contact us at 306-777-7000 to advise that you need water delivered.

Sometimes we can provide service to an individual home or business through a hose connection to a neighbour’s home (with permission) or connection to a hydrant.

In very few instances, some residents could receive a Drinking Water Notification (DWN). Learn more about what these notifications mean and actions to take.