The Taxi Bylaw was established to regulate taxis, taxi drivers, owners and brokers to promote safe transportation services for Regina citizens.
- Taxi drivers must carry a valid licence and a taxi driver ID card.
- A taxi fare meter is required for each taxi and must be sealed with a City of Regina tag.
- The consumption of alcohol and smoking are not permitted in the taxi.
- Temporary taxi owner’s licences can be issued for up to five years if all licensing requirements are met.
- The city issues 120 regular licences, 18 accessible taxi licences and additional licences during the winter months.
- Taxi licence owner shall be affiliated with a licensed taxi broker at all times for their vehicle to be operated as a taxi.
- All taxis shall be equipped with a Global Positioning System and mobile data terminal technology that is able to receive taxi dispatches from a computer aided dispatch system.
- Taxi drivers are not permitted to charge additional fees for wheelchairs, mobility equipment or service animals accompanying a passenger with a disability.
There are fines in place for individuals and/or corporations who do not comply to the regulations within the bylaw. Fines can reach up to $5,000.
Report a Bylaw Infraction
If you know of a bylaw violation and would like to report it, contact Service Regina by calling 306-777-7000 or using the online service request form.