Adopt A Greenspace
Any individual, family, group or organization can volunteer for the Adopt A Greenspace program. Some spaces that people typically adopt are traffic islands, shrub or flower beds, walkways and cemeteries.
You commit as much time or as little time as you want by choosing a one-day event or commit to weekly or monthly tasks. Common activities that people choose to do include:
- Pick up litter on a regular basis. (City will supply garbage bags to use in the park.)
- Organize a spring cleanup, usually in early May depending on the weather. Sites for spring cleanup include parks, boulevards, creek banks, or other areas.
- Maintain traffic islands or walkways by watering, mowing and maintenance of flowerbeds.
- Look after shrub beds including weeding, minor trimming and shrub renovation.
- Pull weeds or cultivate flower beds.
- Clean park signs of dirt and graffiti.
- Other light duties needed to maintain our parks and greenspaces.
- Equipment Loan: Volunteers can be provided with limited numbers of small hand tools and supplies, such as garbage bags, needed to perform their duties. The City will not loan out any vehicles or power equipment. If you wish, you can use your own lawnmowers and roto-tillers in certain circumstances.
If you have a job or site in mind and would like to join the Adopt A Greenspace program, complete the application form or call Service Regina.
Once the form is submitted, your application will go through an approval process. District supervisory staff may discuss with you by telephone or meet with you on site to discuss activities, provide an initial orientation, and provide training (if needed for your volunteer duties).