The numbers are in…
Over 2,000 carts were assessed during the program with the following results:
- 28% of recycling carts received ‘Good Job’ stickers
- 72% of carts that received an “Oops” tags with 36% of carts tagged making improvements the next visit
Thanks for recycling the right stuff Regina! It’s worth the effort to protect the environment for future generations and extend the life of the landfill.
We compiled a list of common items found in the recycling carts that don’t belong. Please remember to put the following items in your garbage cart:
- Stretchy plastic bags and film (plastic bags, plastic wrap)
- Crinkly plastic packaging (chip bags, cereal bags, zipper pouches)
- Plastic products without #1-7 symbol (bulky plastic, food containers, coat hangers)
- Styrofoam (packaging, food containers)
- Tissue/paper towel/napkins
- Material in plastic bags
- Paper disposable cups (waxed paper cups)
Opps! These items don't belong...
Learn more about the common items that do not belong in your blue recycling cart.
Disposable paper cups with a waxy lining and diapers do not belong in your blue cart.
Plastic bags and stretchy plastic are not recyclable. Remove any recyclable items from bags before they go in your blue cart.
Styrofoam packaging should not go in the blue cart. Check Waste Wizard for drop-off locations.
Make sure to remove recyclable items from plastic bags before placing them in the blue cart.
Disposable paper cups, plastic bags and hard plastics like Tupperware cannot be recycled. Check Waste Wizard for disposal options.
Don’t forget to check Waste Wizard to help you where to put your household waste items. Simply type in the item into the search box and it will tell you which cart or drop off location.
Remember the following when recycling:
- Keep recyclables loose in the cart.
- Don’t bag or stack items.
- Rinse your recyclable containers.
- Don’t let your carts overflow.
Watch for the CartSmart Team next year coming to a neighbourhood near you.