By checking blue carts, the team hopes to:
- Encourage proper sorting
- Gather information on common mistakes
Recycling is worth the effort to protect the environment for future generations and increase the life of our landfill.
Cart tags and stickers will be left behind to provide some helpful tips for households.
For more information about this program, or if you have a broken cart, contact Service Regina at 306-777-7000 or through the Submit a Service Request Form.
Did you receive a cart tag or sticker on your blue cart?
- Good Job! You’re CartSmart - Thank you for recycling the right stuff! Households who sorted their recycling correctly will receive a sticker on their recycling blue cart. Keep up the good work!
- Oops! Avoid Common Recycling Mistakes - It’s important to only put acceptable items in your blue cart. The wrong items can reduce the quality of good recyclables and damage sorting equipment. Please refer to the specific notes on your cart tag.
- Oops! Keep Hazardous Material Out - Hazardous materials can be dangerous to workers and damage sorting equipment. Please refer to the specific notes on your cart tag.
Opps! These items don't belong...
Learn more about the common items that do not belong in your blue recycling cart.
Disposable paper cups with a waxy lining and diapers do not belong in your blue cart.
Plastic bags and stretchy plastic are not recyclable. Remove any recyclable items from bags before they go in your blue cart.
Styrofoam packaging should not go in the blue cart. Check Waste Wizard for drop-off locations.
Make sure to remove recyclable items from plastic bags before placing them in the blue cart.
Disposable paper cups, plastic bags and hard plastics like Tupperware cannot be recycled. Check Waste Wizard for disposal options.
Remember the following when recycling:
- Keep recyclables loose in the cart.
- Don’t bag or stack items.
- Rinse your recyclable containers.
- Don’t let your carts overflow.
Watch for the CartSmart Team next year coming to a neighbourhood near you.
2019 Program Summary
See how many households the CartSmart Team visited, the common errors and more!
Over 2,000 carts were assessed during the program with the following results:
- 28% of recycling carts received ‘Good Job’ stickers
- 72% of carts that received an “Oops” tags with 36% of carts tagged making improvements the next visit
We compiled a list of common items found in the recycling carts that don’t belong. Please remember to put the following items in your garbage cart:
- Stretchy plastic bags and film (plastic bags, plastic wrap)
- Crinkly plastic packaging (chip bags, cereal bags, zipper pouches)
- Plastic products without #1-7 symbol (bulky plastic, food containers, coat hangers)
- Styrofoam (packaging, food containers)
- Tissue/paper towel/napkins
- Material in plastic bags
- Paper disposable cups (waxed paper cups)
Don’t forget to check Waste Wizard to help you where to put your household waste items. Simply type in the item into the search box and it will tell you which cart or drop off location.