Blue Cart Recycling is part of Waste Plan Regina, and it’s a symbol of our commitment to build a cleaner, greener and more sustainable city.
- All plastic bottles and containers labelled #1-7
- most containers for yogurt, milk, peanut butter, condiments, beverages, vitamins, mouthwash, shampoo, bleach, detergent and more.
- Cardboard, boxes, newspapers, magazines and other paper products
- Shredded paper must be put in a clear plastic bag and tied closed
- Pizza boxes if there is no grease or food left in the box
- Tin food and beverage containers such as coffee cans and soup cans
- Aluminum cans, bottles, containers and foil
- Glass food and beverage containers
- Tetra Pak containers for soup and beverages
- Milk and ice cream cartons
- Black and clear takeout food containers such as roast chicken trays
- Food trays labelled #1-7 such as fruit plastic clamshells
Residents are also welcome to take containers to SARCAN Recycling for a deposit refund.
Some items cannot be processed at the recycling facility. Please do not place the following items in the Blue Cart:
- Any plastic items not labelled with #1-7 such as pens, straws, laundry baskets and more
- Bottle caps and lids
- Plastic bags and plastic wrap
- Used tissues, napkins and paper towels
- Styrofoam packaging and trays
- Disposable cups for coffee, pop and fountain drinks
- Metallic juice and beverage pouches
- Glass that is not a food or beverage container such as ceramics, oven dishes and coffee mugs
- Shredded paper must be put in a clear plastic bag and tied closed to be recycled in your Blue Cart
- Housewares including ceramics, dishes and glasses, pots and pans, light bulbs, windows, mirrors and clothes hangers
- Strings, rope, wires and cables
- Garden hoses
- Christmas lights
- Construction material
- Hazardous waste such as household chemicals, motor oil, antifreeze, aerosol cans, batteries, lighters and paint cans
- Medical waste
- Diapers and personal hygiene products
- Food and kitchen waste
- Leaf and yard waste
Many of these materials can be recycled or disposed of in other ways. Check with our online sorting tool, Waste Wizard, for items that may be recycled in other programs.
- Rinse your recyclable containers and put them into your Blue Cart – there’s no need to sort them.
- Please do not bag or stack your recyclables, put them loose inside your cart. Shredded paper is the one exception. It must be put in a clear plastic bag and tied closed to be recycled in your Blue Cart.
- Remove and discard any caps and lids.
- Flatten your boxes and cardboard so you will be able to fit more recyclables into your Blue Cart.
- Only put acceptable recyclables inside your Blue Cart. Any unacceptable materials have to be removed at the processing facility, and our costs increase based on the amount of unacceptable materials mixed in with the recycling.
Cart Placement for Pick Up