Water meters have a radio transmitter which allows the City to read your meter without entering your home. These meters are very accurate and ensure you are billed on actual, not estimated, water consumption. This is how transmitters work:
- The radio transmitter is in sleep mode until a Meter Reader approaches.
- Meter Readers drive a vehicle with a data collector unit that sends out a wake-up signal.
- When the transmitter receives the signal, it determines what the water meter reading is and sends this reading along with its identification number back to the data collector unit.
- Once the meter reading has been successfully transmitted, it goes back into sleep mode.
- The information is downloaded at the end of the day and used to calculate your next water/utility bill.
Water meters are installed in every building to track the use of water for billing purposes. Once a building permit has been issued by the City, an account for water/utility services is created. The building permit applicant must provide a valid mailing address (not the new building address) for water/utility bills issued during the time of construction.
Water meters are installed when the basement is built and the water service line has been installed. Prior to water use or occupancy, the building permit applicant is responsible for arranging a water meter installation within a specified timeframe:
- Single-Family Residential Buildings (single-metered residential premises with no more than four dwelling units) have six months from the building permit issue date.
- Multi-Residential Buildings (single-water metered premise with five or more dwelling units) have four months from the building permit issue date.
- Commercial Buildings (premise in which a business, profession, industry, trade or commerce is carried out and may have a single or multiple water meter(s) installed) have four months from the building permit issue date.
How to Apply
- Review the Instructions for Water Meter Sizing to determine your water meter needs.
- Complete the Water Meter Sizing Application Form.
- Print and sign the Water Meter Sizing Application. Scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org, hand deliver to the main floor in City Hall or mail to:
Attention: Water Meter Sizing
2476 Victoria Avenue
PO Box 1790
Regina, SK S4P 3C8
- Once the application has been approved and you require a spacer, one can be picked up at 2425-4th Avenue.
It is the responsibility of the building permit applicant to notify the City when construction is complete and turned over to the occupant. This ensures the building permit applicant/owner is removed from billing. The building permit applicant is billed based on assumed consumption and charged a No Meter Installed fee if the water meter has not been installed prior to activation date.
To have the water meter installed, please call Service Regina at 306-777-7000 and select option 3.