Image of the City of Regina

Careless Smoking

Astray with a cigarette burning in itCareless smoking is the leading cause of fire deaths in Regina.  These fires are caused either by a person falling asleep while smoking – usually in the living room – or cigarettes and ashes that are discarded before fully cold. 

Tips to Prevent a Fire Caused by Careless Smoking

  • Use large, heavy ashtrays that do not tip over.
  • Don’t let ashtrays become so full that hot ashes might spill over the side.
  • Douse or soak butts and ashes with water before dumping them in a wastebasket.
  • Never smoke in bed or when drowsy, intoxicated, or medicated. A dropped cigarette can smolder for hours before bursting into flames.
  • If there has been a party where people have been smoking and drinking, check your furniture for dropped cigarette butts.
  • Keep matches and lighters up high, away from children’s reach. Ensure lighters have child-resistant safety features.
  • Teach young children that lighters and matches are not toys, and not to touch them.

Teach young children they should tell a grown-up if they see an unattended cigarette burning or a lighter or match lying around.