We encourage you to guard against spring melt in your basement. Here are some tips to help you stay dry:
- Continue to clear ice and snow off your neighbourhood catch basin and make sure it is draining properly.
- Move snow away from your home so it will drain away from the foundation.
- Clear channels in the ice/snow to allow melt water to drain away.
- Ensure downspouts are extended so they discharge rain or meltwater at least two meters away from the foundation.
- Check to make sure your sump pump is working. If you don’t have a sump pump, consider installing one. Contact a plumber for assistance if required.
- Consider installing a Backflow Prevention Valve to protect against sewer backup if you don’t have one.
- Keep basement sewer caps in place.
- Check your basement regularly for signs of water and consider installing a water-sensing alarm.