This project will upgrade infrastructure to support new residential, commercial and industrial developments in the area. A new overpass will be built directly to the west of the existing overpass and extensive modifications will be made to the existing interchange to improve the transportation network.
Modifications to the interchange will include all on/off ramps and adding an exit loop in the southeast corner from eastbound Ring Road to northbound Winnipeg Street. The intersection of Winnipeg St and 9th Ave N will be relocated to the west, and portions of both streets will be widened and equipped with additional turning lanes to improve traffic flow. Other enhancements include the installation of traffic signals, street lighting, and improved drainage with the inclusion of three storm ponds. In addition, a multi-use pathway will be installed between 7th Avenue and Mount Pleasant.
- A new overpass with a wide sidewalk and a 75-year service life
- New intersection of 9th Avenue North and Winnipeg Street to eliminate the “jog” in Winnipeg Street caused by the current two 90-degree turns
- Modifying the interchange, including a new southeast exit loop ramp
- Portions of Winnipeg St and 9th Ave N will be widened with additional turning lanes
- Building three new signalized intersections to improve traffic flow
- Building a 3m wide multi-use pathway linking 7th Ave to Mount Pleasant Park
- Overall, upgraded infrastructure that will improve drainage, traffic flow, lighting, pedestrian connectivity and safety:
- Vastly improved drainage around the interchange with inclusion of three storm ponds
- Improved signage, street lighting, new expressway lighting, and extensive modifications to utilities in the area including removal of overhead lines
- Modifications and improvements to access Mount Pleasant Park
- Modifications and improvements to the Bulk Water Station
- Extensive landscaping with planting of more than 300 new trees
- 2021: Utility relocations, widening Winnipeg Street and 9th Avenue North on the north side, roadwork outside existing roadways
- 2022: Overpass construction, demolition of existing overpass, construction of remaining roadworks and loop ramp
- $28.8 million
This project was funded in part by the Government of Canada; for more information on federal infrastructure funding, visit infrastructure.gc.ca.
Winnipeg Street Overpass
The Winnipeg Street Overpass Project is a two-year project to replace the Winnipeg Street overpass. The interchange will be modified to improve traffic flow, pedestrian connectivity and safety.
This project has a total investment of $28.8 million and is funded in part by the Government of Canada.
A new overpass will be built directly to the west of the existing overpass and extensive modifications will be made to the existing interchange to improve the transportation network.
The project will modify the interchange, including a new southeast exit loop ramp.
The new overpass will have a wide sidewalk and a 75-year service life.
Portions of Winnipeg St and 9th Ave N will be widened with additional turning lanes. A new intersection of 9th Ave N and Winnipeg Street will eliminate the “jog” in Winnipeg St caused by the current two 90-degree turns.
Driving steel piles
Winnipeg overpass MSE wall