Image of the City of Regina

Lead Testing Programs

The City of Regina has two testing programs to test tap water in your home - the Random Testing Study Program and the In-Home Point of Use Testing.

Random Testing Study Program

Random Testing is conducted to assess lead levels in homes built before 1960 and properties found in areas that are known to have lead water service connections. Testing is completed by Water Works staff who test the water at a select number of homes. All program participants will be provided with results for their home. Contact us if you are interested in participating.

How long does Testing take and what goes on?

Testing takes about an hour or less. The bulk of the time is due to a 30-minute stagnation period where no water can run in the house. The rest of the time, City staff will test and collect water samples from the house for analysis. We will also determine the internal plumbing material inside the house, where the water service line enters the house and what, if any, water treatments are in the home (water softener, filtration, etc.)

Why does the sampling have to take place after six hours of stagnation?

This is to provide a sample which represents water taken out of the tap in the morning after not being used overnight or a long period of not using it. If the six hour wait doesn’t happen, the sample collected may not represent the higher levels of lead which could occur. The longer water has been sitting in your home’s pipes, the more lead it may contain.

I am not taking part in the Random Testing Study, will the City test my water?

Property owners can contact us for further information on testing. For properties in defined areas we will provide one free lead test. Residents will be required to take the water sample themselves, as per the In-Home Point of Use Testing program.

Residents are encouraged to contact us if they have concerns with the quality of their drinking water including lead in tap water.

My house was built before 1960 but I am outside of the testing area. Will the City still pay for my water to be tested?

We are doing testing in areas that we know City-owned lead water service lines were installed.

If you are concerned about lead within the plumbing of your home, you can contact an accredited laboratory in regards to testing your tap water. If testing is done and it is found that your water contains lead levels above the Health Canada limit of 0.010 mg/L, then you are eligible for a water filter.


In-Home Point of Use Testing

This testing allows individual residents to have their water tested for lead. Since you cannot see, taste, or smell lead dissolved in water, testing is the only sure way of telling whether there is lead in your drinking water.

All building owners within Regina city limits are eligible to participate in free lead testing where:

  • The building was constructed prior to 1960 and is in a neighbourhood where other lead lines are present.
  • Records indicate that the building is served by a known public lead service line.
  • The public lead service line was replaced in the last five years.
  • There are incomplete records for the public service line material (i.e. material unknown), the building was constructed prior to 1960 and the building is in a neighbourhood that has public lead service lines present elsewhere within the neighbourhood.

Results are sent from the laboratory directly to the individual homeowner. We also receive the results along with the invoice. The results are not be posted or shared and will only be reported in an aggregated manner that prevents the individual properties that participated from being identified.

What do I have to do to get testing forms and bottles?
First we need to determine if you are eligible and provide appropriate documents. 

  • Contact us to request a laboratory requisition form.
  • Receive the form through the mail.
  • Complete the form. Take the form to the Saskatchewan Disease Control Laboratory (SDCL) to obtain a sample kit.
  • Conduct the sampling procedures.
  • Complete the sampling form.
  • Return water sample, sample form and laboratory requisition to the SDCL.