Permits are an affordable way of making sure the work is done properly. They’re great for the resale value of a home and help ensure you are passing on a good house to future homeowners.
Find out more about which projects require a building permit, and which do not.
Building permits are required for:
Building permits are not required if the entire scope of the project consists only of:
Apply for a Building Permit
Find your project in the list below and read more to find information on applications, fees and conditions.
New Home Construction & Addition Permit
Permit Review Timelines
Review timelines vary depending on the type of project. A fully completed application with no errors will be issued a permit after the initial review. Delays happen when there is missing information or submissions are not compliant with codes and bylaws. If that happens, applications are placed on hold until issue(s) are resolved. Learn more about the permit review process.
- Residential – 10 business days from submission to issuing a permit or request additional details
- Commercial – 20 business days from submission to issuing a permit or request additional details
- Resubmission – 5 business days from submission of the required information to issuing a permit or request additional details
Estimated review times are available by submitting an Online Service Request, or calling 306-777-7000.
Sign Up for Email Notifications
We’ll send you updates on:
- Building permits and inspections
- Residential and commercial requirements
- Regulatory advisories and announcements
- Municipal legislation changes
- Workshops and information sessions
- Related surveys and other feedback opportunities
Be sure you sign up and CONFIRM. Look in your junk or spam folder. Our confirmation email may be hiding there.
View the past building & development email updates.
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- New Services - Partial Permits & Pre-Application Meetings
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- COVID-19 Update
- Application & Inspection Changes
- Building Permit Application Changes
- February 2020
- Building Permit & Inspection Review Update
- December 2019
- Building & Development Permit Feedback
- October 2019