You must obtain a building permit using the Single Family Dwelling Submission Package for other home alterations, such as:
- Solar panels
- New walls or removal of walls
- Structural changes
- New window/door openings or changing the size of existing window/door openings (excluding like for like replacement of existing openings)
- Kitchen and bathroom renovations where plumbing, windows or walls are changing (excluding cosmetic changes or fixture/appliance replacement)
- Complete the Single Family Dwelling Permit Submission Package and ensure your application contains all required information and documents. Incomplete submissions will not be accepted. The project package may be updated at any time, be sure to check back to this web page for the most current project package.
- A completed Residential Permit Fee Calculation Form is required as part of the application.
- The application must be signed by the legal owner of the property as well as the applicant.
- If applicable, contact SaskPower for inspections and permits for gas or electrical work.
- Alterations to designated heritage properties will require a Heritage Alteration Permit in addition to a building permit. In some cases, a building permit may not be required if the scope of the heritage property alterations is limited to siding, roofing materials and windows.
- Submit your application by email to email@example.com. The City will review your application to ensure it meets all building, heritage, zoning, landscaping, engineering, environmental, disposal, assessment, open space and utility regulations and/or bylaws.
Once your permit is approved, you will be contacted to make credit card payment over the phone. Once your permit is paid, your permit will be emailed to the applicant/owner/contractor for a signature. A signed copy must be scanned and sent back to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to construction.
Construction cannot begin until the permit is issued. If work commences prior to issuing of a building permit, you will be subject to a surcharge.
Residential: Movement, alteration, renovation, repair of property
$8 /$1,000 value, $100 minimum
We aim to process alteration permits within 10 business days.
PLEASE NOTE: Building permit application forms must be filled out in full; incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Legal land owner information must match what’s listed on land title. The individual signing for the legal land owner must be on title or must be authorized to sign on the legal land owner’s behalf via an authorization letter from the legal land owner.
- If a company is listed on title as the legal land owner, the individual signing on behalf of the owner must print their name and position associated with the company and must have signing authority.
- If someone is designated to sign on behalf of the owner, this authorization can be provided via an authorization letter from the legal land owner (individual giving authority must list name, position, and have signing authority).
The City accepts, and encourages, Plans to be submitted electronically to email@example.com. This will benefit both the customer and the reviewer as it helps speed up the process.
If Plans are submitted electronically, they must adhere to formatting standards and digital submission security requirements. This will enable the software to identify drawings and organize large projects more efficiently.
Formatting standards only apply to applications drawn in a computer program (CAD drafting program) such as those used by professional designers. Smaller jobs like decks and garages do not need to follow the formatting standards. They are not a requirement for typical homeowner projects where designers and computer drafting programs are not involved.
For any questions regarding the formatting standards, please call 306-777-7551.